“I believe the creation of the Government Digital Service is one of the great unsung triumphs of the last Parliament.” Former Prime Minister David Cameron
The Government Digital Service (GDS) is part of the Cabinet Office. Our job is digital transformation of government.
We’re a centre of excellence in digital, technology and data, collaborating with departments to help them with their own transformation. We work with them to build platforms, standards, and digital services.
We believe in working openly, because making things open makes them better.
We run GOV.UK, the best place to find government services and information. It began as an alpha, built in just 10 weeks, and has grown to become part of our national digital infrastructure. It's always being improved in response to user research and user feedback.
Our work is not just about websites. Among many other things, we also:
- work with the rest of government to make public services simpler and better
- build platforms like GOV.UK Verify – a way to confirm users are who they say they are
- work to ensure government data is good data, more usable for all
- help departments make better-informed decisions when they need to buy technology
- help departments provide their staff with better value technology that's more of a tool and less of a barrier
We've won design awards, and are recognised world leaders in public sector digital innovation. Digital government teams in the US, Australia and New Zealand were established on the same model, and follow very similar principles.
We use this blog to think out loud, and let the world know what we're doing. If you have comments or questions, please get in touch. You can send an email to email@example.com, and we're on Twitter @gdsteam.